Founder and CEO, Sanjay Shenoy narrates the evolution of Airline Metrics in his own words.
“Data – that’s what’s wrong with the world! This is what I realised several years ago. Not data by itself, we love data! More, about the way data is presented and how it affects the way the reader analyses and interprets the available information.
And, that is how Airline Metrics was founded. By recognising the need for much better data and analysis of available information.
Over the years I worked in different roles in the travel industry. My first flight overseas from my native country India was magical – I was travelling in business class on Lufthansa on a training course at the age of 21. Several standby travel experiences later somewhat corrected those rose tinted views, however, the magic still remained.
About a week after migrating to Australia, I was called for an interview. The recruitment consultant put me through an exhausting interview, but to his credit referred me to Jetset Travel Group. They (thank you Karyn, Ken and Rod) promptly offered me the job with a condition that I had to join the next day. That was my migration experience! Ten days chilling and straight into work!
A later stint at Sabre working with lots of different travel agents and groups all across the country brought me to my “Aha!” moment.
All my airline, travel agency and GDS roles involved working with systems, numbers and data. Data – people were drowning in it! Many still are. Front and back office data, GDS data, accounting data, head office & branch office data, flown revenue data, sales data, yield data etc….you get the picture, you could term it as a tsunami of data.
My observations and conclusions on how people deal with this data are interesting.
Can you relate to some of these scenarios?
- Overwhelmed by the volume of available data you simply ignore it and think instead about using it in future, if required. Often you never do. Another later data set would arrive shortly anyway.
- You eagerly review the data in order to extract a specific set of information (which could take a fair bit of time) and then ignore the remainder.
- You form friendships with your data expert (like me of course!), who can manipulate the data into some relevant information. But the problem remains that you are dependent on the expert who is often stretched managing their multiple data projects.
- You routinely look at the same small number of data sets, ignoring the rest. Once again, everyone is busy and they cannot afford to spend time trawling through it all.
- You blame your systems for a lack of data. They feel
it ‘doesn’t work properly’ or ‘actually help you’.
Note: To be fair, most of us will fall into one or more of these categories at one time or another.
By itself, data does nothing. It means nothing unless it is presented as relevant and easily-used information that can be consumed fast – in seconds – before the User moves on to their next issue.
What’s required are insights more than data, insights through relevant information.
My journey into entrepreneurship began in 2002. Ticketech Solutions was founded to convert airline data into information. Several exhilarating twists and turns later, the Airline Metrics story began in 2013. With our current solution we remove all the “data” noise and present useful, timely and relevant insights regarding the air spend and revenue of all our clients.
Now I know for sure that we are on the right path. It is very satisfying to hear someone say “WOW! I have never seen anything like that!”
So that’s our story, it’s been built on a lot of learning from humble beginnings as a trainee, as an analyst and then an accountant and ultimately as a specialist within the industry.
Please do review the demo videos and other collateral available online and feel free to give us your feedback. We constantly strive to improve our service levels and product offering.
We take a lot of pride in the quality of what we have built and I personally thank each of you for reading this far.”